Freewar Forum

www.freewar.com

It is currently 20 May 2018, 15:22

All times are UTC

Print view Previous topic|Next topic 
 Post subject: Useful websites for profile creation
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 20:25 
Roachatron

You can post links for profile design here.

Post subject: Test
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 21:20 
Firewolf

Another useful websites:
http://www.linotype.com
http://www.myfont.de

Post subject: Re: Useful websites for profile creation
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2009, 10:53 
Wood Slurper

Uh.
Already 2 posts and nobody mentioned "Lila Laune Land" :(
I really like this "flooded Orewu"-Style :mrgreen:
Google translated it…
Well Google is somehow a bad translator ;):D but…I was too lazy to do it on my own ;)

http://translate.google.de/translate?u= ... =&ie=UTF-8

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2009, 14:53 
Roachatron

The Google translator is the worst!

It would be better if such a page is translated by oneself because you cannot really understand what is written there:

E.g.: A little further you realize a peaceful-looking, small Vogelhäusschen ale which a woman stands beside you and herüberwinkt. -> The phrases "Vogelhäusschen" and "herüberwinkt" are not translated.

In summary it can be said that a page like that is quite useless if it is not translated or translated in very mistakable English.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2009, 14:56 
Firewolf

http://www.leo.org is a better translator, but it's usally better when you're just looking for several words, not a whole sentence.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2009, 14:57 
Creepnaf

Well, I'd gladly offer my help for any fansite translation.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2009, 15:16 
Wood Slurper

Memory wrote:
In summary it can be said that a page like that is quite useless if it is not translated or translated in very mistakable English.

uhm... you got something wrong here :roll:

I already said, that the Google translation is bad ;)
To repeat it again is in this case not necessary.

Well, I am sure, the native English speakers are not that stupid as you say.
They will definitely be able to have a click on this "styles" button and simply copy the link of the style.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2009, 19:13 
Firewolf

But it is better to have "full english" websites for an Game, which is international. 8)

So it's not enough to see only a "click here" oder "download" button of an german page. But this is only my stupid opinion ;)

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2010, 11:12 
Firewolf

Merlin wrote:
But it is better to have "full english" websites for an Game, which is international. 8)

So it's not enough to see only a "click here" oder "download" button of an german page. But this is only my stupid opinion ;)

Of course this would be better. But now there aren't so many english freewar pages. I saw that the english version of "Lorana" will be there soon ;)

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2010, 11:31 
Roachatron

Leon wrote:
Well, I am sure, the native English speakers are not that stupid as you say.
They will definitely be able to have a click on this "styles" button and simply copy the link of the style.

I never said that English players are stupid. I won't stand that!
But if you imagine: The whole game is translated into really good English - proved by native speakers. What impression would be created if fan pages - which should help - are translated in such a primitive way?!?!
To my mind it is not acceptable if you want to help those users with fan pages to let them be translated by the Google translator (in very mistakable English).

Speaking of which, imagine you are going to play a game which is translated in German, let's say it is an Italian game. (You cannot speak that language) Someone tries to help you and you have to look on a fan page which is translated with the Google translator. (-> Some of the words are still in Italian!)
Now tell me, would you use this page in any way? No. The reason is quite simple: You are not going to look up all things you do not understand because they are written in a foreign language.
What a nerve to assume that a translation by the Google translator is entirely sufficient! – By reason of your laziness.

Furthermore, you can find a lot of people in this forum who are able to speak English quite well. If only one or two declare theirselves ready to comply with translating (like some already did) a fan page or creating an own fan page (in appropriate English) it would be great. These pages will be used, even by English-speaking users.

In conclusion, your comment/link is superfluous because it will only be used by German users which is not the proper sense for a fan page of an international game.

Leon wrote:
I was too lazy to do it on my own ;) - regrettable attitude.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2010, 11:59 
Creepnaf

Should anyone require help translating their site, I'd be glad to help, too.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2010, 12:05 
Wood Slurper

Never Enough wrote:
Of course this would be better. But now there aren't so many english freewar pages. I saw that the english version of "Lorana" will be there soon ;)

Correct.
Of course there are no English fan pages up to now.
Sure I would translate something to a "good" English, but to me, that seems to be not as easy as you say.
Translation? O.K. no problem but the engine behind such pages like Loranas or even Lila Laune land is quite more work than translating texts.

Memory wrote:
I never said that English players are stupid. I won't stand that!

Uh...Your real meaning was maybe lost because of translation or something.
sorry
My post should not be to assault you.

Memory wrote:

In conclusion, your comment/link is superfluous because it will only be used by German users which is not the proper sense for a fan page of an international game.

If you or someone else deals with the generators for skills and enlargements (copyright?!) I will translate as much possible.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2010, 12:09 
Roachatron

Leon wrote:
If you or someone else deals with the generators for skills and enlargements (copyright?!) I will translate as much possible.

Of course, if you translate anything you have to ask the owner of the site. If he/she agrees everything will be alright.
Alternatively, you create an own page.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2010, 13:49 
Roachatron

Leon wrote:
O.K. no problem but the engine behind such pages like Loranas is quite more work than translating texts.
Well, erm, in parts. Of course we won't just translate. But as you see, most things will be ingame terms. Of course, to describe the benefits of an ability needs the careful usage of words. There also will be NO style generator - this thing is just TOO old and we would have to rewrite the complete code.

But gladly we were aware of an upcoming english version while writing our scripts - and there was a moderate change to one of our graphics just 3 days ago. This change will also be useful during the conversion process ('conversion' in manifold meaning). And enlarging graphics a little bit won't be a problem, if this turns out to be necessary (even this would be quite annoying).

Luckily, we haven't released a lot of graphics yet - most of them only exist in theory. There would be some really, REALLY annoying things in this pool, if these would be finished already.

Wasn't that "common sense" thing still in beta or something?