Freewar Forum

www.freewar.com

It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 00:40

All times are UTC

Print view Previous topic|Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Valakor's translation bug thread
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 00:14 
Wood Slurper

Spotted this typo at the Plantation House in Anatubia... You do not have a Koloa Bean.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 22:03 
Wood Slurper

Another typo...

When accepting the quest for the artefact of Dranar, it reads:

Current Quest:
We found a rare artefact in Dranar. Unfortunately half of it is missing; that's why we cannot decipher it dompletely. etc.

Should obviously read 'completely'.

Ta, Mef.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 22:44 
Wood Slurper

And this... at The Sealed House in Dranar...

The house is sealed by a[n] enigmatic rune puzzle. This is a[n] hallowed field, attacks are impossible.

You examine the rune puzzle, but before you do so in depth, your eyes can't help but wander to a Serum Wraith who begins to explain the rules that apply here:
"These are various magical elements, and only the harmony between these elements will open the seal. See the stone tablet over there? It is divided into 6 rows, 6 columns and 6 boxes that are 2x3 blocks in size. One position has an arrow on it - that is where you start. Choose one of the six elements beside the tablet for this position, but beware: Each row, column and box can only contain one of each of the six elements. Choose wisely, for if you make a mistake then a neutral element will appear on that field. If, in the end, you have more than one neutral element, there will not be enough energy to open the seal. You can place the arrow on any empty position on the tablet at any time. The creators of this puzzle added one other dirty trick: The mysterious element, which can only be identified by its effect on the other elements, since it is one of the six elements in disguise. I myself have not been able to solve the puzzle.
Butif you really want to enter this house, consier this: Something evil was locked up in here. Many say that this house was the reason why Dranar was swallowed by the fog."

1. So, it should read 'an enigmatic...' not 'a enigmatic...'

2. Words beginning with an 'h' are treated identically to words beginning with a vowel in English text. Even though it might seem wrong, it should read: 'This is an hallowed field.'

3. 'Butif' should be 'But if...'

4. 'consier' should be 'consider'.

Thx.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 19:45 
Wood Slurper

Another typo...

The following message is displayed when you return the 30 gold coins to the Slick Businessman on behalf of the Quest Hall staff:

You recognise the Slick Businessmann from far away. His entire body is covered by an oily substance of some sort - strange. You hand him the 30 gold coins and he thanks you kindly. Return to the Quest Hall to give your report.

Mef.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 16:53 
Small Sheep

Today, I bought a nicely wrapped present from the Auction Hall in Buran.
I unwrapped it and the following sentence appeared in field chat:
Quote:
All excited crystal nef unwraps his present.

Well, I'm female >_>. In this case, "her" instead of his would be correct.

Last edited by crystal nef on 25 Jul 2010, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 08:02 
Administrator

Mef wrote:
2. Words beginning with an 'h' are treated identically to words beginning with a vowel in English text. Even though it might seem wrong, it should read: 'This is an hallowed field.'

Wrong. Words beginning with the letter 'h' are only given an "an" if the h is silent. So : an hour, an honour.

But if the h is heard, then : a hearing problem, a hallowed field, a hairy bugger, etc.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hallowed

Quote:
1. Sanctified; consecrated: a hallowed cemetery.

You will note that the dictionary does not refer to "an hallowed cemetary".

And finally, it's nice that you marked the mistakes in red, but seeing as I'm colourblind, I only noticed it when I saw the colour tags when quoting your post. :p

Thanks for spotting the other mistakes. They've been corrected in the DB and will go live with the next update.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 19:58 
Small Sheep

Sleipnir performs an excavation on this field and finds "the" Small Rock.

Maybe an "a" insted of "the" would be a better fitting article. I guess there's more than one rock below ground level.

Same goes for the shops.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 21:54 
Wood Slurper

Yes, you're quite right about the 'h' and 'a' versus 'an' issue Valakor; I stand corrected. Maybe it's my Southern accent where we always drop the 'h' that forces me to use bad habits... ;-)

Sorry about the red; I only used red because other people have previously. I'll make 'em bold next time.

Like now, for example:

Ziggy Stardust casts a Spell of Limited Lnowledge and instantly feels more intelligent.

Lnowledge?!?! Should be Knowledge.

Cheers, Mef.

PostPosted: 01 May 2010, 12:17 
Administrator

Mef wrote:
Yes, you're quite right about the 'h' and 'a' versus 'an' issue Valakor; I stand corrected. Maybe it's my Southern accent where we always drop the 'h' that forces me to use bad habits... ;-)

It's actually quite surprising how much of an effect its had on the English language over the centuries. From Wikipedia :

Wiki wrote:
Juncture loss

In a process called juncture loss, the n has wandered back and forth between words beginning with vowels over the history of the language, where sometimes it would be a nuncle and is now an uncle. The Oxford English Dictionary gives such examples as smot hym on the hede with a nege tool from 1448 for smote him on the head with an edge tool and a nox for an ox and a napple for an apple. Sometimes the change has been permanent. For example, a newt was once an ewt (earlier euft and eft), a nickname was once an eke-name, where eke means "extra" (as in eke out meaning "add to"), and in the other direction, "a napron" became "an apron" and "a naddre" became "an adder." "Napron" itself meant "little tablecloth" and is related to the word "napkin". An oft-cited but inaccurate example is an orange: despite what is often claimed, English never used a norange. Although the initial n was in fact lost through juncture loss, this happened before the word was borrowed in English (see orange (word)).

Quote:
Sorry about the red; I only used red because other people have previously. I'll make 'em bold next time.

Like now, for example:

Thx. :)

Quote:
Ziggy Stardust casts a Spell of Limited Lnowledge and instantly feels more intelligent.

Lnowledge?!?! Should be Knowledge.

Cheers, Mef.

Aw c'mon, it can't be that surprising surely? 'L' sits next to 'K' on a keyboard - it's just an errant typo-gnome. :P

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 10:34 
Wood Slurper

Oh yes, that excerpt about juncture loss was quite interesting.

I've another typo:

The woulds of the Marsupial Tiger seal themselves and the Marsupial Tiger regenerates 33 Life Points.

It should read wounds, not woulds I think.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 17:14 
Wood Slurper

The Amulet of Lesser Firespite is referred to as the Amulet of Lesser Blaze at the location where you can combine the lesser amulet and a Fire Diamond to create an Amulet of Firespite.

Cheers, Mef.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 18:36 
Wood Slurper

Kuridan - The Twinewood
There is some kind of entrance between the trees. It is hardly visible because of the dark shadows surrounding it. Unfortately though, you cannot get to it - a few tree stumps block your way.

The word Unfortunately is spelled incorrectly.

PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 19:44 
Small Sheep

Ziggy Stardust opens a level 1 Magic Chest and fetches the item Counterspell: Incapacitation .

Too much empty space unless I'm very much mistaken.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 13:01 

Quote:
aslanadds Refined Pet Food to the mix in the Feeding Ground.

i guess there should be a space between aslan and adds.

and there is still the mistake at Position X: 84 Y: 97, which was already postet at 10th of janurary:

Quote:
You see (a) large cave with a small basin which collects water. A short mage in a dark robe sits before (better: in front of) the water, which which he enchanted with a powerful spell. The magic water has healing powers and cures all wounds. But the mage charges 16 gold for a mouthful of it.

Position X: 84 Y: 97

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 17:19 
Small Sheep

Quote:
Clan war
¿Who Câres¿ has declared won on your clan. The clan war starts in 23 hours 57 minutes - unless your clan rejects the declaration of war (the leader or co-leader can do so).

uhm, can a clan declare won on a clan? not really >_> should be WAR, i think.

PostPosted: 15 May 2010, 13:42 
Small Sheep

In the Divine Temple, there are 2 fields where you can send letters for free.. Well... On The Platform, everything is correct.

But on The Path Across the Sea of Souls there is a mistake... You'll see it on the attached picture.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/5135/thedivinetemplethepatha.jpg

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2010, 10:07 
Small Sheep

ElunaPleaseStalkMe buys a Marsh Gas Depot./i>

this "/i>" is too much.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 12:01 
Firewolf

The Compressed Magic Sphere dissolves before your eyes.

Better: The Compressed Magic Sphere dissolves in front of your eyes.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 12:55 

Du öffnest die Zaubertruhe und findest darin das Item Golden Jerodar Necklace.

Thats the original text in english w1 if you open a magic chest.
A translation is missing.